Several years ago to help with our homeschool journey and to teach our children "rules", I developed the Family Contract. I got the idea in a book, and made up the rules for my kids to each sign. Today as I was going through boxes unpacking, organizing, eliminating, I came across the original copies. It brought my heart joy to see how my children, over the years, matured. Some of the rules haven't been carried out to the best of our ability, but living in an RV for the past 2 years made some of them a little difficult for various reasons. ;)
Here's what our Family Contract read. (Each child was given a copy and asked to initial each rule, sign, and date it.)
I, ______________________________, being part of the S****** Family, and most importantly GOD's family do promise to try to obey and live by the following rules.
1. I will get up at 8:00 am, Monday-Friday to do my school work, unless told by mom or dad otherwise.
2. I will get dressed, eat, brush my teeth, and do my chores promptly.
3. I will be prepared for school by 9:00am Monday-Friday.
4. I will do my best to get my work done by lunchtime.
5. I will speak kindly to my silbings and my mom and dad, and others according to GOD's word-I will try to remember to ONLY say things that will build and edify my family, friends, and outsiders.
6. I will keep my hands and other parts of my body to myself. I will try never to hurt anyone.
7. I will share my belongs to my family and friends.
8. I will treat others as I wish to be treated, in love.
9. I will HONOR my mother and father according to Ephesians 6:1.
10. I will OBEY my mother and father according to Ephesians 6:1.
11. I understand that GOD has placed my parents over me as my authorities.
12. I will be TRUTHFUL and HONEST.
I encourage if you to develop a family contract if you don't have one. It's great because there isn't a question as to what the general family rules are. :)
To Be or Not to Be
6 months ago